Are digestive issues causing you discomfort, embarrassment and low energy? I will show you simple steps to repair and rebalance your gut.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
More than 50% of visits to the GP’s office concern gut related issues, specifically Irritable Bowel syndrome (IBS). There are many contributing factors including:
- “Bad” bacterial overgrowth in the bowel.
- Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)
- Immune problems, 70% of our immune system is located in the gut
- Nervous tension
- “Leaky gut” and food sensitivities
Optimising Digestive Health
A poor digestive tract can affect the absorption of nutrients and so optimising digestive health remains a key element in any nutritional programme for the gut.
Investigating the causes…
Addressing possible factors, supporting function and choosing foods that soothe, calm and repair are all important steps. Diagnostic testing may also provide specific information regarding contributory factors.
How to improve digestion:
- Chew food thoroughly – chewing begins the digestive process
- Relax – digestive problems may be worse when stressed.
- Regular meals: 4 hours between each plus a 12 hour overnight fast allowing the digestive tract to regenerate
- Keep hydrated – drink 8 glasses of water per day
- Limit caffeinated drinks to 3 cups per day
- Reduce your intake of alcohol and fizzy drinks
- Promote friendly bacteria by eating vegetables, whole and fermented foods including live yoghurt, kefir and sauerkraut.